Friday, February 19, 2010

Trusty Machete

Ever since I can remember, I've played video games, from Super Mario World to Left 4 Dead. They have been a friend and foe throughout my gaming career. I've come to realize that I have an addictive personality, and have been trying to cut back.

My favorite game that I've ever played is City of Heroes. The community alone and the friends I made were worth the 15 dollars a month. It allowed me to be creative and to be a hero that I'd always imagined being, even more so that Dungeons and Dragons allowed me to do. I got to see my hero fly around, wear a cape, and smack baddies with energy rays, vine tendrils, fists, or a scream. Better yet I was able to do it with other people who were fun, funny and helpful.

However, it was my obsession with City of Heroes that caused my failure at college. I have no ill will towards Crypic/Paragon Studios for making a great game, none. I should have quit while I was ahead. I spent hours a day, avoided class, classmates, and experiences. This was all five years ago. Yet after five years, finally do I admit this on an open forum. After a year or so of CoH, I went on to World of Warcraft, and then back to CoH, then to WoW, and then back to CoH. A vicious circle for me. Both fun games, who deserve no blame towards people changing their lives over. People change their own lives.

I have slowly begun to regulate my game playing. I haven't been subscribed to City of Heroes for months. They're having a new expansion coming out, and yes I'll support them, buy it and reup for another month to play and see Paragon Studios work. I praise them. I'll see my friends in game again, and I'll have fun. However, I know I have alot of work to do. So, before I even think of subscribing again, I am going to make sure I fullfill those goals that I set forth a few days ago.

Steam, a gaming program, allows you to track the amount of time you play games through it. The past two weeks I've played 13 hours of Left 4 Dead 2, so roughly under an hour a day on average, which isn't too bad I don't think. It is, in my mind, a big cut back from what I used to do (three or four a day). Small steps.... small, teensy steps.

Now then, to cut the M:tG problem, after which this blog takes its theme...

Also hungry ::sigh::

1 comment:

  1. That's good that you are trying to limit yourself. I know I spend FAR too much time on Facebook >.<

    ReplyDelete