Saturday, February 27, 2010

Rampant Growth

As I have posted previously, I've decided to start a garden in the backyard. Yesterday I went out to Meijer and bought some herb seeds that I'll probably be starting indoors before spring shows up. I only bought a few, which I actually plan to put in pots, I'll save the actual garden for veggies and maybe fruits.

Lemon Basil (Ocimum citriodorum): This is apparently a hybrid between regular Basil and African Basil. I hope to make some yummy pesto with this, so we'll see how it does. I just have to remember to deadhead it (pick off the flowers before they develop) otherwise the plant will literally go to seed.

True Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia): This should come in handy for giving aromatic qualities to food as well as supplementing the jar of Herbes de Provence I got at Christmas. Also, they are pretty.

Longstanding Cilantro (Coriandrum sativum): I love cilantro and coriander so I definatley wanted this in the garden. While I tend to cook for a rather unappreciative audience of this fine, aromatic herb I could care less, it's MAH GARDEN!.

Mint? (Mentha sachalinensis): The scientific name is a guess actually as the package of seeds does not give the actual name. So on "Mint" I've had to guess, but the common name of Mentha sachalinensis is Garden Mint, and there was no picture. However, there is a picture on the package, as much help as that is.


That seems it so far, but I want to plant some roses too. My grandfather has some of the prettiest ones, especially the Double-Delights which I've always adored. Learning to plant and raise those would be something I'd like to do as well. We'll see. I hope Spring gets here soon, I'm so sick of this snowy weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment